It has come to our attention that the streets of Brunswick are unsafe for Brunswickians without vaginas to walk alone. If you are walking without a vagina you may be assumed to be a rapist and/or murderer. As such, society would like to impose the following restrictions on the movements of all Brunswickians and visitors who choose to walk without vaginas (please note, presence or absence of vagina is a patriarchal assumption based on centuries of gender roles, rules and discrimination).
- Please be accompanied at all times by a responsible adult with a vagina.
- If a suitable adult with vagina is unavailable, please stay indoors where you won’t be at risk of arrest as an assumed rapists and/or murderer.
- Walking without a vagina under the influence of alcohol, while wearing revealing clothing or while simultaneously being curteous or friendly to strangers with vaginas will heighten your risk of arrest as an assumed rapist and/or murderer.
- It is advised that whenever possible you take taxis home after dark and never walk without a vagina in an area that might by anyone with a pen/microphone/keyboard be considered “dangerous”, “dark” or “illogical”.
- The best way to guard against being an assumed rapist and/or murderer is to stay indoors, doing useful tasks like fixing the U-Bend or painting the spare bedroom while you wait for instructions from society/your vagina blessed partner/the patriarchal media.
- If you are caught walking without a vagina, you will be blamed for anything bad that happens to you, including wrongful arrest.
If you are a feminaust without a vagina and you found the above insulting, good. It is insulting. Incredibly insulting. Most of the people in this world are good, loving, caring, non-rapists, yes, even those ones without vaginas. And yet the above statements are constantly and repeatedly imposed upon women to try to control their actions, their movements and their opportunities. If you are a feminaust without a vagina and you found the above insulting. Do something about it. Refuse to allow your friends/colleagues/family/media to make statements like these. Demand the reality of gender based violence to be exposed. Talk to your community about how the majority of violence that women experience is in their own homes, perpetrated by the people those women should trust the most, not on the street. Refuse to allow society to lock up women, chain them in fear or blame them for the abuse and violence they experience.
No one asks for violence, no one deserves violence and no one is at fault for the violence they experience.
But everyone can stand up against it, demand its reality be exposed and refuse to participate in it.
Editors note: In the fabulous world of twitter it has been belatedly brought to my attention that the above post demonstrates significant transphobia. While I reject the “phobic” element of this statement I do strongly agree that the fact that the entire post refers to “people with vaginas” as being women and “people without vaginas” as being men subscribes to a gender binary that I strongly reject. While I will not be changing the wording of this post I would like to acknowledge that in this case, my discussion of the genitalia in question is entirely presumptive and that my point is we shouldn’t be controling the behaviour or movements of any human, no matter what we think may or may not be in their pants.
That said, I would also like to acknowledge the over-representation of all trans people in the experience of violence publicly and privately.